Sure Community Foundation celebrates Giving Tuesday
As the world marks ‘Giving Tuesday’, a day which encourages people to do good and give back, the Sure Community Foundation is pleased to have donated more than £200,000 to local causes across the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man since its inception in 2012.
In a remarkable year, where charitable support became more important than ever, the Foundation, which is the charitable enterprise of the telecoms company Sure, had significant impact in all of its local communities. This includes being shortlisted for the Corporate Social Responsibility award by the Guernsey Community Foundation in November thanks to its active involvement in the Crown Dependencies and immediate support to keep vulnerable islanders connected during the pandemic.
Giving Tuesday, which was also founded in 2012, encourages people to support their favourite causes on Tuesday 1 December either by donating, volunteering, fundraising and more. The Foundation is encouraging Sure employees and islanders to do the same.
Funded by a combination of staff and business donations alongside a number of fundraising activities carried out by Sure employees, the Foundation has supported several charities over the course of 2020 including:
- We all Matter Eh? - Partnering with the charity, the Foundation supplied £12,500 worth of WiFi devices to vulnerable members of the community. The Foundation looked for any opportunity to keep isolated islanders connected during a turbulent year.
- The Guernsey Sailing Trust – A donation provided by the Sure Community Foundation has enabled the Guernsey Sailing Trust to purchase an RS Feva which is a specialised boat designed for children, allowing them to develop their sailing skills.
- Brightly Jersey – The Foundation donated Apple Air pods to the Brightly charity raffle which resulted in the charity raising a sum of £14,600. The funds are being used to support children and young adults who have experienced the care system.
- Beresford Street Kitchen - During lockdown the charity provided over 3,500 home cooked and chilled, nutritious meals to Jersey residents in need. To help support the scheme, the Foundation donated £500 which provide a further 100 meals.
- Guernsey Rovers AC – The Foundation’s donation to the Guernsey Rovers AC has allowed the football team to provide their players with the better-quality facilities at Port Soif.
- Victim Support Isle of Man – The Foundation donated £525 to Victim Support Isle of Man which went towards a coffee machine in the charity’s office with the intention to provide free coffee’s to clients visiting the charity and in need of comforting drink.
- Guernsey Employment Trust - The Foundation was pleased to donate £2,500 and five new laptops and software to help the charity perform their vital work.
- Live at Home Isle of Man - The Sure Community Foundation donated a telephone conferencing system during lockdown which enabled the charity to host bi-weekly quizzes and entertainment for the elderly in the Isle of Man.
- Guernsey Mind - The Foundation donated £3,240 to Guernsey Mind, the mental health charity that aims to provide the community with a better understanding of mental health and helps signpost people who are suffering with mental health issues. The donation was used to provide volunteers with mobile phones alongside call and data packages for 12 months while the charity became busier due to the coronavirus.
Karen Jagger of the Sure Community Foundation said: “This year has been unprecedented and local charities need their island’s support now more than ever. We’re always looking for worthy causes to support within the community and would encourage any charity in the Crown Dependencies to get in touch with the Foundation. The team at the Sure Community Foundation is always incredibly busy, but this year they’ve really gone above and beyond.
“I want to thank all of our employees at Sure that regularly contribute to the Foundation and encourage that everyone takes part in this year’s ‘Giving Tuesday’ in any way shape or form – from a small donation to organising a fundraising event!”
For further information about the Sure Community Foundation and to find out how to apply for funding, click here.